A warm welcome awaits you in all our churches!
The Parish of Twigworth has the largest population in the Benefice. The church of St. Matthew, consecrated in 1844, lies on the main road to Tewkesbury between Twigworth and Longford and is the resting place of the war poet and musician, Ivor Gurney. Twigworth is rural in character whilst Longford is now effectively a suburb of Gloucester. The Longford portion of the parish represents the greatest potential for spiritual growth. With a population of about 1200 it is the largest community in the Benefice.
Church attendance is stable. There is great potential to work with the young and achieve the growth the parish needs if it is to flourish. Church events are held in Longford Village Hall from time to time.
We are currently undertaking a programme of repairs to the church fabric, including the roof, stained glass and internal decoration. The award winning churchyard is well maintained with a garden of remembrance and some travellers’ memorials.
We are working with the Gurney Society to provide a permanent study centre and a small display of Gurney memorabilia.
Chris Baldwin 01452 534105
Gareth Moseley 07708 205090