The present church dates from the 13th century but an earlier, more simple structure probably existed, with clergy coming from the monastery at Deerhurst, to conduct services. The original dedication for Staverton Church was in honour of St John the Baptist but it was changed in the middle ages when St Catherine became popular!
The church, as well as being in regular use for Sunday services, is used as a Bishop’s Chapel by the Bishop of Tewkesbury because he now lives next door, in what used to be Staverton Vicarage.
The church has a cruciform shape; the area under the tower, now a Baptistery, was once a chantry chapel.There are three bells which are all hung without the benefit of nuts and bolts in their fittings.
Many structural alterations have taken place over the years. The west end was rebuilt
about 1712, using salvaged material from the tower which was lowered in height. The
north transept was enlarged in 1836 with fine mouldings added to the new ceiling.
A west end gallery, and oak box pew, were rnew deal pews being fitted and marked
‘free’ to show pew rents had been abolished! The memorial east window was designed
by J Eadie Reid, reckoned to be the last of the Pre-
The organ was restored in 2005 by John Budgen. The kneelers, like those in Boddington, have, over recent years, been replaced/embroidered by local people.
The churchyard at Staverton is full and therefore ‘closed’ but it is well maintained with the help of an annual donation from the Parish council. There is a Yew from the Painswick churchyard trees planted here to commemorate the Millennium.